Sunday, March 1, 2015

Blog Post #7




The things I believe that I will need to know and do to prepare for a career as a teacher to support my ability to use technology started by taking EDM310.  Each week I am made aware of the different resources available for myself as well as my future students.  Building a network base of professional educators and implementing the resources introduced to me through this class is another important way to prepare for my career as an educator. Lastly,  I am learning to have the mindset of "always learning through technology". I have seen by not being afraid to learn, to improve, and to grow that this class will help me to use technology effectively in my classroom no matter what subject or grade level I teach.

Using iMovie and the Alabama Virtual Library in Kindergarten is a video in which  Michelle Bennett explains how kindergarten children are using the i movie program to make book trailers.  She has shown them the mechanics of the program and the children's creativity built the project for there.  This type of technical project gives children the opportunity to creativity show their understanding of the story they have read.  


We All Become Learners in this video Michelle Bennett explains how sometimes students show teachers how to do something with technology.  When this happens, the the barriers of titles are removed and everyone is a learner. The teacher learns from the students, students can learn from other students. Everyone becomes learners of each other's network.




https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2KrbeY1pGbnzh2_i3mjiE2DofP5utaarDY5vFQT7t9jdLlHUj

iPad in the Classroom in this video, Chicago students each get an iPad.  It immediately becomes clear that students become more engaged on every grade level.  The second graders use it to help with spelling. The high school science students use it to build a roller coaster prompting the teacher to ask more engaging questions to his students.  Having this technology instantly showed the benefit of student assessments on their  projects.

Top 10 Reasons to Use Technology in Education is a video supporting the use of technology in the classroom with a great presentation of ten good reasons to support its claim.          
Top Ten
1. Students Love It
2. It (technology) Engages the 4 Key Components in Learning:
      -Active engagement
      - Participation in groups
      - Interaction and feedback
       - Connection to real world experts
3. Professional Development
4. Makes Life Easier for Teachers
5. Improves Test Scores
6. Helps Students with low Attention Span
7. Learn from Experts
8. Encourages Completion of Homework
9. Saves Money
10. Removes Obstacles

I really like rule number 5 with the improvement of test scores.  The video explains that by using the correct technology educational material and testing  can include different learning styles for  each individual student.







2 comments:

  1. Tanya,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post so much that I took a look at some of your other posts on your blog. I can tell that you are really interested and engaged in the things we are learning inside and outside of class. I also really liked the class assignment that your group came up with about The Declaration of Independence. I did not find any spelling or grammar errors in your post. You were very thorough and interesting. You did a great job! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Tanya! I am still amazed that Kindergartners can use iMovie and create book trailers. Speaking of book trailers, I liked yours. I had never heard of the book Hiding Hoover before, and watching your trailer makes me want to get it for my son. I think he would really like it. And I concur with what Corrine said, I enjoy looking at your blog, and I can really tell that you are very interested in the projects and activities. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete