Saturday, April 4, 2015

Blog Post #11

Blog Post #11

Back To the Future is a video with Brian Crosby.  Crosby is a thirty year plus teacher who is speaking about some exciting things he does in his classroom.  What I learned about teaching from Crosby is children now have the opportunity to set goals for themselves and build their own learning network.  I also realized that learning is not limited to books, but learning can come from hands on projects and sharing your work with others.   What I learned about learning from Crosby is how students share their is just as important as the work itself.  Crosby really shows you that teaching can become unlimited once the students' creativity  has the proper tools to use.




Mr. Paul Andersen has a video blog.  I watched his educational video on questions.  What I learned about teaching from Andersen is the three types of questions: factual, recall and application questions.  What  I learned about learning is  that kids respond to questions by using hands on projects such as gaming to help them understand the material.

 The video Blended Learning Cycle with Andersen is a video explaining how to use a blended cycle in a classroom.  He uses blended learning which consist  of online, mobile and classroom tools with the learning cycle of engage , evaluate, explore expand and explain. The blended learning combined with the learning cycle creates the blended learning cycle.  What I learned about teaching is how Andersen shows that this is a great way to present material and a great way for kids to learn.  What is I learned about learning is the Blended Learning Cycle will help with my teaching and the students learning in a very efficient manner.  Andersen goes on to explain the Quivers:
1.Question
2. Investigate/Inquiry
3. Video
4. Elaboration
5. Review
6.Summary /Quiz
I really liked his approach on making sure the students understood the material.  I am already thinking of how I could use this approach in my classroom.

Making Thinking Visible by Mark Church is a short video of how visualization enforces knowledge and ensures understanding. I learned  about teaching from Church that visualization is powerful to students.  I also learned  about learning from Church is  that students have really learned material if they can explain it back to the teacher or someone else.

Sam Pane 4th Grade is a video by the teacher Sam Pane using a program of Building Comics to teach his students to be good digital citizens. I can see where using visual comics is a great way of learning for students and using visual text and dialog. What I can learn about teaching from Pane is using technology individually and in small groups has great results. What I learned about learning is how Pane shows how sharing each others super villain and giving feedback.  Pane's class did this by taking a gallery walk  around the class.
The take away's from Pane's video are:
#1 Write narratives to develop imagined experiences or events.
#2 Analyze how visual and multimedia elements contribute to text
#3 Ask and answer questions.
I really enjoyed Pane's approach to teaching by the children showing how their digital character make good choices.


Project Based Learning by Dean Shareski is a short informative video about combining classes.  History, English and a Computer Tech classes were blended  to make one block of time for the combined material. From Shareski's video I learned about learning is that in this particular project base learning classroom the students became more engaged learners and they had a deeper understanding of their subject matter.  What I learned about teaching from Shareski is the value of good quality feedback  I also saw how  time for projects gave students a greater chance of ownership of their work.

Roosevelt Elementary's PBL Program is a video about a great school showing the great impact PBL has made on their students.  To the teachers at Roosevelt, Project Base Learning is a style of teaching which creates:
-In depth learning
-Integrated thematic instruction
-Based on real world problems
-Research based
-Project and presentation

Roosevlet  shows  how its uses teacher collaboration, standard based guidelines and cooperative learning in their project based learning definition. What I learned about learning from Roosevelt is the importance of oral presentations for children at an early age can help the student as he becomes older.  What I learned  from the teachers at Roosevelt  is that children can obtain a more in depth understanding of the subject matter being presented to them.








2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya,
    I thought your post was both detailed and well organized. The short summaries you gave were on point and really captured the essence of each video. I found myself agreeing with the many of the things you said you learned from each video. I also enjoyed Mr. Anderson video Blended Learning Cycle and I plan to use elements of his approach in my future classroom. Overall, I enjoyed reading your post. Great Job!
    Sincerely,
    Paige Inman

    ReplyDelete